Thursday, May 5, 2011

Recipe Thursday

Last night I braised pork chops for Mr. Hunnel and myself. Inspired by the way Nurse SC puts together recipe posts. I wanted to share a recipe I tried out with all of you. This week I'm sharing...
Rosemary Pork Chop Skillet
(recipe found in my Better Homes and Garden cookbook)

Ingredients:
1 pound boneless pork sirloin chops, cut 1/2 inch thick
1 tablespoon olive oil ( I eyeballed this into the cast iron)
2 cups peeled and cubed (1 inch) winter squash (not pictured or used)
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
2 teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup orange juice
2 medium zucchini (not pictured or used)
1 teaspoon fresh sage (not pictured or used)

Step 1:  Trim fat from pork. Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. ( I used kosher salt and fresh ground pepper which I rubbed into the chops). In a 12-inch skillet heat over medium high heat. Brown chops about 4 minutes, turning once. Combine squash, onion, and rosemary- spoon mixture over chops.
>So, right here I had the olive oil in the cast iron then added the freshly seasoned chops. I sprinkled the fresh rosemary over the top but skipped the squash and onion.
Pour both the broth and juice over chops, reduce heat. Simmer, covered 10 minutes. 
2. Add zucchini and sage ( I skipped this) Cook covered about 5 more minutes. Until chops are done, 160F.
3. Spoon mixture over chops. ( I skipped this)

Instead, of the squash... I used my onion and apple to make a chutney. I've made this a few times before (usually an apple-ginger chutney) so this time I just threw it all together. Loosely the ingredients and steps are below.

Ingredients: red onion, apple, brown sugar, cinnamon, water, OJ.
Step 1: Cut onion into wedges. Dice apple into squares.
Step 2. In non-stick pan pour water and OJ. Add apples and onion    Step 3: Spoon brown sugar and cinnamon over mixture to your liking  Step 4: Let simmer for 15 minutes.

I completely forgot to snap a picture of the pork chops after throwing them in the skillet, but here is a picture of the finished product! I also made mashed potatoes with parsley and chives.
Also, not pictured is the steamed artichoke I gave my husband to munch on while I prepared dinner.

What do you think of this week's recipe? Do you have any good recipes to share? 

1 comment:

Casey said...

Nurse SC gave you that cookbook at your bridal shower, if I'm not mistaken! :)

Follow by Email

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved