Thursday, July 7, 2011

Recipe Thursday: Pound Cake




3 Things I did not realize when I set out to make pound cake:
1. So simple to make
2.  It's namesake is the fact that it used a POUND of BUTTER!! 
3. Okay, in reality it's only 1/2 pound of butter, but pretty much just butter and sugar

I first made this pound cake for our Memorial Day BBQ after I ran my first 5k! Outdoorsy Sister and I are getting ready for another this Sunday. It will be my second and her fourth! We're running fools now. Thanks c25k and Nurse SC

I went with Paula Deen's pound cake recipe because I love her! Have you seen her show? Um, yeah I would love to cook fabulous meals and present them in my amazing backyard!
 I also had a flat of strawberries after our Tanaka Farms tour and at the time Little C was not allowed to eat any. Just got the clearance at his one year check-up!

Ingredients:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus more for pan
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together. ( I got to use my mixer again, yeah!)
Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. 
Mix in vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. 
recipe found here

It turned out great. Everyone loved it and I even whipped up some fresh homemade whipped cream as a topping along with the sugar coated strawberries. Delish! 

1 comment:

Barbara said...

oh yum, that looks delicious!

Follow by Email

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved