Sunday, October 16, 2011

Heat Wave


In my little corner of the globe we just experienced a heat wave for the month of October. For this gal who loves fall that is so not allowed. Does anyone know how I can reach Mother Nature?
One might think oh, what's a heat wave maybe 70 degrees? Try 95 degrees. 

Yesterday, I mentioned  the Hart of Dixie and their heat wave, well same thing here. I'm living in the northern hemisphere where the temperature is supposed to be cooling down. The weather I want is supposed to evoke feelings and memories of John Updike's "September". 

This past week while we meshed visiting pumpkin patches and baking pumpkin bread Little C and I also swam in the pool twice and had picnics outside. The weather was great for all those traditional summer activities. Can we please have fall now?

September


The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel–
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Drying grass,
New books and blackboards
Chalk in class.
The bee, his hive
Well-honey, hums
While Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

2 comments:

Patience said...

Well coming from a person currently experiencing the traditional fall weather I can tell you some 95 degrees would feel quite nice. But the trees are looking lovely! :)

Barbara said...

I feel you! The weather here has been crazy too! It's super HOT one day and then almost wintery cold the next. Where are my 70 degree days where I can wear a sweater and boots?

Follow by Email

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved