Thursday, January 24, 2013

Recipe Thursday: Pasta

Attacking my 101 in 1001 list this week! I have a section devoted to cooking with 10 different items listed. 

76. Make pasta from scratch

I did this! It was a lot of fun to do with Hockey Husband and it tasted fantastic. 

I used the recipe found on the back of the Semolina flour I used. Very basic.

Ingredients:
4 cups Semolina flour ( you can also use 2 cups AP/2 cups Semolina)
Pinch of Kosher salt
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
6 large eggs

Method:
Thoroughly sift together semolina flour and pinch of salt. On a clean surface, make a mountain out of flour mixture then make a deep well in center. Break the eggs into the well and add olive oil. Whisk eggs very gently with a fork, gradually incorporating flour from the sides of the well. When mixture becomes too thick to mix with a fork, begin kneading with your hands.
{I did this the first time for fun and the experience- after that I just threw all the ingredients in the stand mixer and it continued to work.}

Knead dough for 8 to 12 minutes, until it is smooth and supple. Dust dough and work surface with semolina as needed to keep dough from becoming sticky. Wrap dough tightly in plastic and allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Roll out dough then put strips through a pasta machine. I started on number 8 and worked my way down to 1 using the same strip each time. It will get long and thin, may have to cut in half to continue. I attached the fettuccine cutter and it sliced it perfectly! So fun.  {Raviolis and lasagna didn't require anything more.}
Bring water to a boil in a large pot, then add 4 teaspoons salt. Cook pasta until tender but not mushy, 1 to 7 minutes depending on thickness. Drain immediately and toss with sauce. 

I used butter and some fresh grated parm. 

Thanks for reading along Recipe Thursday fans! I would love to hear any suggestions of anything you might interested in seeing. I always love feedback so please leave comments below. 
Next week, I have a special treat for you! I have mentioned before how my Hockey Husband is quite the chef...well he asked to guest post with a recipe he has prepared!


My recipe from last week was featured over at The Full Time Mama

2 comments:

la petite lulu said...

Yummm! I love pasta and have always wanted to make my own, reading this has inspired me! The Kitchen Aid pasta attachment is on my birthday wish list, I'm definitely going to have to give this a go :D

Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing this great how-to with Delicious Dish Tuesday! I have pinned the recipe. I *hope* to get a pasta attachment for my kitchenaid mixer soon and when I do I am going to try out your recipe :)

Follow by Email

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved