Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mom Confession

A mom confession for you this week, I'm sure we all have them. Even if you're not a mom yet or maybe you have cute little furbabies you probably have one.
This mom confession comes from when I was a hypothetical mom- you know where you imagined how you would be. Well, that mom has met reality mom.
Your Website Name
Megan and Heather put together this little space where women can come together and share their stories. Something small like how I sneak chocolate when my toddler isn't looking or maybe something a little more personal and heartfelt.

This week I'm sharing that I am a total mom hypocrite. 
You read that right, a momocrite. 

{Yeah, that was the best portmanteau I could come with.
How does "brunch" roll off the tongue so nicely?}

So how am I a hypocrite you ask?
Well, let me break it down for you. 

1. Diapering: I am a huge cloth diaper supporter. I camethisclose to cloth diapering Little C. I love the idea. Honestly, I'm not the greenest person on Earth {far from it} but the idea of thousands of diapers sitting in land fills kind of creeps me out. Eww. But, I'm a hypocrite I totally use disposal diapers and love them. Like Pampers Swaddlers. Swoon. Is there anything that smells more precious. I love these diapers. I've already starting stocking up for Baby E.

2. Breastfeeding: Exclusively breastfed babies-nice! I think it's awesome when moms go this route. Breastfeeding into the toddler years-go for it. The World Health Organization recommends until 24 months. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastmilk until 12 months. I would love to be a big promoter for La Leche League- but I'm pretty sure they would throw me out. You see, I'm a supporter in theory not practice. Total formula feeding mama over here. We had a few breastfeeding issues that I've never discussed on the little blog before and don't really plan to. But, we supplemented before hitting the one mark and were onto full formula before hitting 12 months. 
3. Labor & Delivery: Another area where I think all those mom who have natural labor free of the epidural are absolutely awesome. Not me, bring on that epidural! Oh and a home birth with a midwife? Skipping the hospital all together- you go mama. I am so far from that though. I'm actually choosing and scheduling a C-section. 

Wow, hypocrite over here. 
I am not a complete hypocrite in the sense of the word. I don't criticize any mama for their choices. Each mama is different and has their own path to walk and their own that led to where they are.
But, my personal feelings for myself contradict what I have done as a mama.
The ideas I had before I became a mom and what I actually did as a mom are in two separate worlds.
I'm sure a lot of moms can relate.

Is there anything you thought you would do and then actually didn't?
Or did you swear off candy?
Or swear to only change your baby on that perfect changing table?

5 comments:

Amber Cease said...

I wanted to breastfeed in the worst way possible... and I tried and tried to do so, but it just didn't work out for either of my two little ones, for numerous reasons, but mostly because they both had milk protein allergies. So special formula it was. :/

Megan B.B. said...

So, I DO cloth diaper. But, I hate it. It's a pain in the butt, and stinks, and I'm tired of arguing with my husband that it's not THAT bad. But it kind of is.
I love pampers too.
But I'm cheap and we use LUVS to sleep in.
xoxo
Megan @ thememoirsofmegan.com

Heather @ Cookies For Breakfast said...

Hahaha - oh my - we cloth diaper, but now that we're temporarily living with our parents, we're using disposables. And it's freaking killing me. After the first few days when I enjoyed not doing diaper laundry and triumphantly tossing the diaper AND wipes into the SAME trash can (amazing), I had a total attack about how freaking expensive disposables are! I may suck it up and just do cloth during this time because seriously, holy frick, disposables are so expensive! Someone may or may not also be going through a poop 3-4 times a day phase, so that adds to the expense ;-)

Amy @ Not Your Average Baby Blog said...

I "cloth diaper." By that I mean that we go a few months with cloth diapers, then a few with disposables, then I hop on the CD bandwagon again. haha I think I go through bouts of laziness!! Oh well!! : )

Harper said...

About hospital vs home birth? Yeah, I'm a home birth kinda gal--because I'm a wimp.

I'm terrified of surgery, and the idea of someone sticking a needle in my spine is enough to keep me up nights. There's a lot I'd put up with to avoid those two things, a lot more than unmedicated childbirth!

So having the guts to have a scheduled C? It might not be the path I'd choose, but I wish I were that brave!

Follow by Email

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved