Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Walk to End Alzheimer's


Have you heard of Alzheimer's? You may have, lately it is gaining more exposure through walks across the nation, movies, and media attention.

Do you know or did you know someone who had/has Alzheimer's? There are so many amazing organizations out there today doing their best to raise money for awareness and research.

The Alzheimer's Association is one of those. It is a non-profit group that runs on a 70/30 scale. 

I first became aware of Alzheimer's in high school when my grandfather was struggled with it. He eventually passed away due to diabetes, but we watched for years as he was robbed of memories. My grandmother would attend support groups at a local retirement home that specialized in Alzheimer's. I began driving her and then started volunteering there. 

Later, when I would enter college I was drawn to one sorority in particular for the philanthropy. I joined Sigma Kappa Sorority and enjoyed their gerontology outreach that also included Alzheimer's awareness. 
My local Alumna chapter hosts a Car Show every year to raise money for Alzheimer's research. This year it will be held on March 23. I'll be talking more about that in the upcoming weeks. 
This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend a brunch held for the local alumna by a collegiate chapter. It was a great opportunity to re-connect with these women. 
It also jogged my memory of something on my local level that had a big impact on the Alzheimer's Association nationally. One week ago an elderly woman, Helen Banas, left the association $27 million in her will. Imagine the impact this has on one effort. The research that can move forward. Wow. 

I read about this from a local blogger here. Completely shocking. $10 million goes to the national level and the other $17 million stays with the Alzheimer’s Association of Orange County.

There will be a lot of walks in the fall. To find one near you go here

2 comments:

Barbara said...

What an amazing cause! I admire your dedication!

Shelley said...

There's a Scentsy warmer that has profits that go towards Alzheimers. It runs in my family so it means a lot to me!

https://shelleyrt.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy/ProductDetails/DSW-SFF-FGMN

Follow by Email

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved